“Our environment is dear to the heart of all New Zealanders so of course our construction methods must emphasise a sustainable approach to ensure risk to the environment is mitigated.”
Graham Darlow, Chief Executive Construction Group
As a global organisation, Fletcher Building is serious about environmental sustainability issues and has set up a Climate Change and Environmental Sustainability Council to actively promote energy efficiency and waste reduction initiatives within its business units.
Within the commercial construction division, Fletcher Construction has focussed its sustainability efforts primarily on waste reduction and recycling. A number of Fletcher Construction’s projects have also attained highly regarded ‘Green Star Certified’ status from the New Zealand Green Building Council.
Fletcher Construction’s environmental efforts have seen the company win a number of significant awards, including:
- 2010 Supreme Concrete3 Sustainability Award: Fletcher Construction for the Tauranga Harbour Link Project
- 2010 Hynds Environmental Award ($2 - $10 million): Brian Perry Civil for the Upper Nihotupu Dam Upgrade
- 2010 Hynds Environmental Awards (< $500k): Brian Perry Civil for Waitakere City Council Bridge Repairs
- 2009 New Zealand Contractors’ Federation Environmental Awards ($10 million+): Fletcher MacDow Joint Venture for Project Hobson
- 2009 New Zealand Contractors’ Federation Environmental Awards ($500k - $2 million): Brian Perry Civil for the Waitakere Dam Project
- 2009 New Zealand Contractors’ Federation Environmental Awards, Certificate of Merit: Fletcher Construction for the Manukau Harbour Crossing Project
- 2009 New Zealand Concrete Society Landscaping Award: Fletcher Construction for the Manukau Harbour Crossing Project
Video insight into Wellington's world class wildlife sanctuary
Film captures construction process during 5-star build
40sec sequence shows the completed Meridian Building
Recycling is a (Smaller) Load of Rubbish: Check out Fletcher Construction’s campaign to get staff ‘thinking green’ around the office and on site.
Waste – Less is More: Fletcher Construction’s drive to achieve a 50% reduction in waste over one year yielded impressive results.
Noise barrier a first