“Our environment is dear to the heart of all New Zealanders so of course our construction methods must emphasise a sustainable approach to ensure risk to the environment is mitigated.”
Graham Darlow, Chief Executive Construction Group
As a global organisation, Fletcher Building is serious about environmental sustainability issues and actively promotes energy efficiency and waste reduction initiatives within its business units.
Within the commercial construction division, Fletcher Construction has focussed its sustainability efforts primarily on waste reduction and recycling. A number of Fletcher Construction’s projects have also attained highly regarded ‘Green Star Certified’ status from the New Zealand Green Building Council.
Fletcher Construction's environmental efforts have seen the company win a number of significant awards, including:
- 2015: IPENZ Arthur Mead Award: Brian Perry Civil for Eastern Interceptor Pipe Bridge
- 2014: Hynds Environmental Award ($2 - $10 million): Brian Perry Civil for Eastern Interceptor Pipe Bridge
- 2012: IPENZ Arthur Mead Award: Fletcher Construction for Ormiston College
- 2010: Supreme Concrete Sustainability Award: Fletcher Construction for the Tauranga Harbour Link Project
- 2010 Hynds Environmental Award ($2 - $10 million): Brian Perry Civil for the Upper Nihotupu Dam Upgrade
- 2010 Hynds Environmental Awards (< $500k): Brian Perry Civil for Waitakere City Council Bridge Repairs
- 2009 New Zealand Contractors’ Federation Environmental Awards ($10 million+): Fletcher MacDow Joint Venture for Project Hobson
- 2009 New Zealand Contractors’ Federation Environmental Awards ($500k - $2 million): Brian Perry Civil for the Waitakere Dam Project
- 2009 New Zealand Contractors’ Federation Environmental Awards, Certificate of Merit: Fletcher Construction for the Manukau Harbour Crossing Project
- 2009 New Zealand Concrete Society Landscaping Award: Fletcher Construction for the Manukau Harbour Crossing Project
Waterview team embrace Lean Construction: The discovery of over 14 kilometres of 4 X 2 (100mmx50mm timber) in a skip bin prompted the team delivering...
Leaving the environment in better shape: Constructing an 18km, four-lane expressway in an archaeologically and ecologically sensitive area is no small feat.
Eastern Interceptor Pipe Bridge: The Arthur Mead award recognises projects in the Auckland region that demonstrate excellence in sustainability...
Video insight into Wellington's world class wildlife sanctuary
Film captures construction process during 5-star build
40sec sequence shows the completed Meridian Building
Recycling is a (Smaller) Load of Rubbish: Check out Fletcher Construction’s campaign to get staff ‘thinking green’ around the office and on site.
History in Action Uncovering artefacts, bones or shell middens on our construction sites
Noise barrier a first