Client

Rangi Ruru Girls School

Budget

$500,000

Contract Type

Design & Construct

Completed

Sep 2011

Location

Christchurch

Te Koraha at Rangiruru School

As good as new

One of Christchurch’s oldest and grandest homes, Te Koraha was built in 1886 by former Christchurch mayor Arthur Rhodes. In 1923, it became the home for students and staff of girls school Rangi Ruru, providing boarding accommodation for up to 180 girls at a time, for nearly 80 years. 

When the Tudoresque homestead was severely damaged during the 2011 earthquakes, Fletcher was engaged to repair and bring the vast, two-storeyed timber house up to the new building code. Piletech played an integral role in the rehabilitation works, installing new piles around the Category 2-listed heritage building, which were then used as support to underpin and re-level the structure.

When the Tudoresque homestead was severely damaged during the 2011 earthquakes, Fletcher was engaged to repair and bring the vast, two-storeyed timber house up to the new building code

Screw piling was an ideal option due to the low vibration and quiet installation - enabling us to work in close proximity to the existing building without causing further damage to its foundations, and without disruption to students learning in nearby classrooms. 

Te Koraha has resumed its imposing stance at the heart of Rangi Ruru Girls' School. 

Project Partners

Name Fletcher Construction

Role Main contractor