Building healthier communities
Whakatane Hospital was opened by Sir Maui Pomare, one of New Zealand’s first Maori doctors, in 1923. By the early 2000’s, the hospital was no longer meeting patient needs and Bay of Plenty District Health Board embarked on a major redevelopment programme to improve patient experiences and future-proof the hospital for the next 40 years.
We delivered Project Waka, a $67 million contract for a new 8,500m2 single-level general hospital built within the confines of the existing Hospital campus. The standalone facility includes operating theatres and associated support areas, an ED, Radiology Departments, paediatrics and acute services together with wards totalling 100 beds catering for surgical and medical patients.
We used a modular construction approach to build the new facility with square-shaped structures pieced together. Different squares provide different clinical functions for the hospital, and all squares are arranged around a central open courtyard.
The final layout of departments was arranged to ensure seamless access between different areas, for example reduced pathways for patients and staff moving between diagnostic services and treatment areas. The single-level design eliminates the need for patients and staff to climb stairs or enter and exit elevators. To ensure spaces meet the needs of both staff and patients, hospital staff participated in the building’s detailed design phase.
To ensure spaces meet the needs of both staff and patients, hospital staff participated in the building’s detailed design phase.
The emergency department is ‘front of house’, moving through to short-stay acute services (ICU and Cardiac Care), paediatric services, and then medical and surgical services for less acute patients. Radiology and the operating theatres are centrally located.