Waikato Expressway – Rangiriri Section
The Rangiriri section is an integral part of the Waikato Expressway Road of National Significance, connecting Auckland to the agricultural and business centres of Waikato and Bay of Plenty. Beginning at the southern end of the Longswamp section, it runs for 4.8km and joins the existing highway south of Rangiriri township.
We are building the new section of SH1, which will:
- improve connectivity from Auckland to Huntly and further south,
- Connect the Longswamp and Ohinewai sections of the Expressway,
- Improve safety, particularly for those using the Rangiriri and Te Kauwhata intersections and
- Provide improved connections for the community.
Our work will deliver 4.8km of four lane motorway, an interchange at the intersection of SH1 and Te Kauwhata Road and another at Rangiriri, involving 1.6 million cubic metres of earthworks.
Construction of the Rangiriri Bypass coincided with the 150th anniversary of the battle of Rangiri, one of the most important battles in New Zealand’s political history.
On November 20, 1863 General Duncan Cameron led a force of 861 soldiers against the second Maori King Tawhiao, thereby securing a vital supply line into the region. Fighting was fierce, leaving 36 Maori and 38 colonial troops dead, 92 British wounded and 183 Maori warriors taken prisoner. We teamed up with the New Zealand Transport Agency and Historic Places Trust to commemorate the occasion.