“Fletcher Construction has always looked after its people. We believe in the push towards zero harm. We also work well for our clients, to ensure that projects are delivered on time without time lost due to injury or illness, these intertwined parts of our culture drive a strong focus on Health and Safety. We consistently strive to work smarter and be better prepared to manage risk.”
Graham Darlow, Chief Executive Construction Group
Businesses operating within the construction industry are inevitably faced with the task of managing risk of physical harm to their employees and visitors to site. Fletcher Construction recognises that health and safety risks are inherent in any project it undertakes, and has implemented a pragmatic, people-focussed, company-wide approach to keeping its employees and subcontractors safe and well.
Fletcher Construction’s Health & Safety Policy reflects the business’ approach to ensuring a zero harm working environment, and the fundamental belief that all work-related injuries and illnesses are preventable. Key elements of the policy include:
- Ensuring business leaders are competent, accountable and committed to Health & Safety;
- Encouraging participation in Health and Safety initiatives at all levels of the business;
- Actively supporting industry training programmes around safe work practices;
- Complying with all relevant legislation, regulations and codes of practice for the industry;
- Establishing measurable Health and Safety targets, and accurately reporting and investigating all workplace incidents;
- Consistently striving to eliminate work-related injuries and illnesses by proactively managing hazards.
This strong focus on managing health and safety risks has earned Fletcher Construction recognition as a leader in the field, and has also led to a number of prestigious awards from industry organisations such as the New Zealand Institute of Building, New Zealand Contractors Federation and Fletcher Building’s Group Health & Safety Awards.
History in Action Uncovering artefacts, bones or shell middens on our construction sites
Crane loader truck safety: Operation of safety warning devices fitted to crane loader trucks
Praise Be for Safety: Check out the innovative initiative that the Fletcher team instituted on the Victoria Park Tunnel Project.